We publicly report progress with clear KPIs, and provide full transparency on our historic performance. Our most material KPIs are Group-wide and our reporting is assured by an independent third-party.
We align our reporting methodologies to recognised disclosure standards, where applicable. Our SASB disclosure, along with all our KPI performance data, can be found in our Sustainability Databook.
The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) has developed a set of globally applicable, industry-specific sustainability standards. These identify financially material topics and associated metrics, in order for companies to communicate their sustainability approach and performance to investors. Our reporting below is based on the standards for the Food Retailers & Distributors industry.
Tesco is the first retailer to report according to SASB standards, the main group methodology
Serving shoppers a little better every day
Key performance indicators: 53% percentage of volume sales from products with a 'healthy' health score by 2027
- Increase sales of healthier products by developing the appropriate methodology to establish our baseline and targets by the end of 2022.
- Increase sales of plant-based meat alternatives by 300% by 2025.
- Develop a plan to make own brand products healthier through reformulation in all three countries.
A great place to work for all
Key performance indicators: percentage gender representation, and percentage ethnicity representation of our top global leaders.
- Increase female representation of our Top Global Leaders to 35% by 2025.
- Increase the proportion of our Top Global Leaders from an ethnically diverse background to 14% by 2025.
Serving the Planet
Key performance indicators: percentage reduction of Scope 1 and 2 market-based GHG emissions vs 2015 baseline year. To be carbon neutral across our Group operations by 2035 and net zero across our full value chain, aligned to 1.5˚C, by 2050.
- 100% use of electricity from certified renewable sources only since 2020.
- A more relevant commitment to achieve not only carbon but also climate neutrality in all our operations by 2035.
- We are aiming to source all the soy in our supply chains from whole regions that are verified as deforestation-free by 2025.
- committed to achieve 100% sustainable seafood by 2030 and 100% sustainable tuna by 2025.
Key performance indicators: percentage change in tonnes of food wasted as percentage of tonnes of food handled compared with 2016/17 baseline year. We publish food waste data for our own operations and are proud to have already achieved the UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) target to halve food waste by 2030.
Our Group performance on our most material issues have been 3rd party assured.
The Sustainable Development Goal and the UN Global Compact
- Our progress report for 2021/22